Our Lady of Lebanon

Our Lady of Lebanon

South Brooklyn Hidden Treasures

People always ask, "What are those beautiful doors on Our Lady of Lebanon Church?"

When Our Lady of Lebanon moved into the old Congregationalist Church of the Pilgrims on Henry Street in 1944, Monsignor Mansour Stephen planned extensive changes to the interior of the building.

The Normandie was the greatest passenger ship of its day, and suffered a terrible end when fire ravaged the ship, causing it to capsize at the dock on Manhattan's west side.

The Monsignor heard that the Normandie's salvaged treasures were to be auctioned, and with the blessings of his parish, attended the event and purchased the bronze doors and ten placques. The doors, which once were the entryway to the majestic banquet room of the luxury liner, now grace the entry to the church in Brooklyn Heights. The ten placques were added to the doors. The cost of the doors was $1,025 and all ten placques for $975.

Inside the church are three more items from the Normandie - a bronze railing, a cloisonne enamel bas-relief of a Norman knight, and a bronze statue entitled "La Paix" (Peace).

 

Lady of Lebanon placques from the Normandie
Lebanon on Placques grace the doors of Our Lady of Lebanon ©Mark D Phillips