The Fence 2017
The Fence 2017
Our favorite outdoor gallery in Brooklyn Bridge Park is now open for submission! The Fence in Brooklyn Bridge Park serves as a major lead-in to our all-time favorite photography event, PHOTOVILLE, produced by the same organization.
THE FENCE was conceived by United Photo Industries and Photo District News in 2011. It was presented for the first time in 2012 in Brooklyn Bridge Park and has since grown and flourished through a series of strategic partnerships with like-minded cultural organizations across the United States.
The FENCE is a large-scale traveling photography exhibition reaching over 4 million visitors annually through open-air exhibitions in 7 cities across the United States: Brooklyn, Boston, Atlanta, Houston, Santa Fe, Durham, and Denver.
An unbeatable outdoor gallery setting
Photographers submitting to The FENCE 2017 may also be considered for one of the 4 Regional Showcase exhibitions that will highlight work by photographers living in New Mexico, Colorado, North Carolina, and New England respectively.
- Artists who live or work in Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, or Connecticut, will be automatically considered for a special presentation as part of the Beacon Photo Festival.
- Artists who live or work in Colorado will be automatically considered for a special presentation as part of the Month of Photography Denver.
- Artists who live or work in New Mexico will be automatically considered for a special presentation by ASMP New Mexico.
- Artists who live or work in Durham, Raleigh, or Chapel Hill (North Carolina) will be automatically considered for a special presentation as part of the CLICK! Triangle Photography Festival.
Since its inception, THE FENCE has consistently attracted exceptional work by talented photographers from around the world, giving the opportunity to share these powerful photographic narratives with a diverse audience of millions of visitors annually, while providing photographers with a truly public platform and unexpected career opportunities.
Photographers of all levels are invited to submit work for consideration by the jury. The submitted work should fit one or more of our 7 thematic categories:
- Creatures: Domestic, wild, mythical, or fantastical – a diversity of creatures literally and figuratively walk amongst us, inspiring both joy and fear. They embody the abstract and intangible, and in their contrast, provide a means of understanding ourselves.
- Food: An indispensible resource needed to enrich and sustain life, and a pivotal point of social gathering. This necessity drives systems of production and exchange, but can also be harnessed to commit environmental and humanitarian abuse.
- Home: Community on the smallest scale, to the most intimate degree. As noticeable in its absence as presence, home is where we come from, where we choose to be, and where we return—or may never return.
- Nature: The physical world and everything in it that is not man-made. Our natural environment that is both revered and exploited by humanity.
- People: Our peers, our predecessors and our legacy. An encapsulating term and an indisputable identity, we are at once individuals, and a collective community.
- Play: The backbone of childhood and the foundation of friendships. This primary means of socialization is constantly redefined and re-imagined as we evolve and age.
- Streets: The network by which we parcel and traverse our environment. From dusty crossroads, city streets, and super highways, these are the connective arteries of transportation, migration, and above all, life.
Please note: Each submission must consist of three to five images that share a thematic or narrative connection between them.
Only series of photographs may be entered, five images that convey a story around a particular theme. No single images will be considered. The Fence is open to all photographers around the world, except where prohibited by law. Photographers must be 18 years of age or older at the time of submission. Winners will be selected on or about May 17, 2017 and notified by email shortly thereafter.
The Brooklyn Fence will be unveiled in June, and Boston, Atlanta, Houston, Santa Fe, Durham and Denver Fences will follow in the coming months. An announcement with the exact times and dates will be made in the summer.
ABOUT UNITED PHOTO INDUSTRIES
United Photo Industries is a New York based art-presenting organization that works to promote a wider understanding and increase access to the art of photography.
Founded in 2011 by Sam Barzilay, Dave Shelley, and Laura Roumanos, United Photo Industries has rapidly solidified its position in the public art landscape by consistently showcasing thought-provoking, challenging, and exceptional photography from across the globe.
Proudly devoted to cultivating strategic partnerships, creative collaborations, and community spirit, United Photo Industries has presented hundreds of exhibitions and public art installations across the United States and worldwide in partnership with numerous festivals, city agencies, and not-for-profit organizations.